A Reason to Hope
8:54 PM | Author: Angela
On June 17th, I had my most recent appointment with my dermatologist.

I guess I should probably start somewhere else. A few years ago I'd read about a therapy that was just in the beginning stages of testing. Only being done in small case studies, and still there was only one that had been completed at that time. It seemed promising. With most of it's patients reporting 70% improvement at least. The treatment was with Remicade.

Remicade (or Infliximab) is a drug used to treat autoimmune diseases by blocking tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNFα). It prevents TNFα from binding to its receptor in the cell. Remicade is administered by intravenous infusion - usually in 2 hours sessions.

As Remicade is not approved by the FDA for treatment of Hidradenitis Suppurativa, it was denied the first time I asked about it. That's when I went on my latest round with Accutane - which was again unsuccessful. Not surprising really. So I went in this time seeing that there had been more case studies logged, more information on how this was helpful to a lot of patients, and prepared to fight to try this treatment for myself.

I do have to say though that I like my current dermatologist. She's always been very proactive in trying to help me, and always extremely thorough in looking for new possible treatments. I walked in on that Wednesday afternoon, armed with my printouts, and let her do my exam. Let her see that it was just as bad - if not worse - than the last time she'd seen me.

And that's when she said it. The words that made a smile cross my face for the first time when thinking about my disease. She said that there were some new treatments that she thought would be a good idea. That involved either IV infusions, or shots (similar drugs to Remicade like adalimumab (Humira) and Etanercept (Enbrel).) She said that she wanted the head of the department to come in and look at me, and see what his opinion was.

And he agreed. They wanted to treat me with one of these TNFα blockers. I almost cried. I couldn't believe it. Could it really be so easy? The truth is that it hasn't been easy, but it felt like a huge victory for me. And it's not that easy to be honest. There are other obstacles, but they felt like nothing. I had to have a TB test, as well as some other blood work. It has to be pre-approved by my insurance - which I admit is my biggest concern. And there are some side-effect concerns.

My dermatologist did tell me that my insurance would most likely approve the treatment as there have been several case studies on this printed in medical journals and such. So it wasn't a completely off-the-wall treatment that they were suggesting. She also said that if they denied it, that we could contact the drug company themselves - because sometimes if the insurance won't cover it, the drug company will. Then she left the room to get everything set up.

I sat there in a daze. My mind racing over everything, wondering if this could possibly be the answer. I admit doubt started to enter my mind. But I shook it away, and looked at all the promising evidence that this would work. And then I reminded myself that even if it doesn't, my dermatologist is really willing to work for me to finding the best treatment for my HS.

When she came back in and went over all the information on the drug with me, told me the tests I would have to have done, and that I'd need an appointment with Oncology (because the infusion center is part of their domain), I was almost giddy with excitement. Nothing could ruin my day.

I've had the tests. (And bruises from the TB and blood work). I got a call that my Oncology appointment has been scheduled (July 20th). Now I'm just waiting to hear what the insurance company is going to do.

And I hope.
This entry was posted on 8:54 PM and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

13 comments:

On July 4, 2009 at 3:24 AM , Juli L said...

Hi Angela, glad to have found your blog.

I'm not quite sure if I have HS or not. It's always just been recurring boils, but recently saw two surgeons and I finally asked the second one, is this HS? He said something like that.

Mine is under my breast, and I'm having surgery in a few days. I'm googling a lot. LOL.

I hope this medication works for you!

 
On July 8, 2009 at 8:17 AM , Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Hidradenitis Suppurativa.

I too suffer from HS and haven't found anything as yet that give me relief.

There is lots of information and support here: http://www.hs-support.uni.cc/

 
On June 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM , Unknown said...

Hello Angela,

I followed your link from Nalini Singh's blog. Of all the posters, I don't know what made me click on your name, but I'm glad I did. I don't recall my condition ever being called HS but I'm sure that's what it is. I'm in my 50s and have been experiencing the boils since my 20s. The condition runs in my family on my father's side. I have found that Silica, which you get at the health food store will bring one
of the boils to a head overnight. Plus, I take an antibiotic every day.

Good luck with your journey. You are the age of my daughter and she too suffers from it.

 
On November 16, 2011 at 5:06 AM , T.L. said...

Hello! I wanted to check in and see how the treatments are going. I have started my first infusion of Remicade and is very excited and optimistic. this is a horrible disease to have so I'm hopeful. It took me a year to get this approved through the insurance but now that it is, hopefully this will work. Good Luck!

 
On January 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM , salsamedic said...

Hi, how did or is treatment going. I can relate , I have HS @ stage 4 and going out of my sanity. I'm waiting for remicade approval. Preying everyday that this med will be the answers to my hevenly prayers.

 
On April 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM , marysdude said...

hopefully remicade will work for all of
us

 
On September 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM , Introvert, Introvert spread your wings and soar. said...

Hi there,

I only just found you're blog, I understand your battle with HS because I've had to fight with it too. But I have discovered how to help and get rid of mine (almost entirely)

Here's my blog:

http://sanitymiscellaneous.tumblr.com/

 
On October 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM , Unknown said...

I've been drinking all-natural Plexus Slim for weight loss. I have NOT have even one lesion in three months! Find someone who sells it and try it. It has a money-back guarantee even. I just had to share because nothing else has ever worked for me.
I did join so I could get it wholesale but I'm not marketing, just sharing since I finally found something that works!
Kathy
pink2bhealthy@gmail.com

 
On March 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM , Unknown said...

l sell Plexus! I can tell you that it absolutely helps with HS! I've had stage 3 for over 20 years and nothing I've done has helped. After 1 month on Slim, the flare ups are nonexistant! I will also be taking the probio5 and biocleanse soon since candida overgrowth is a problem for those with HS. If you'd like to read about the products or order visit ni1972.myplexusproducts.com

 
On August 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM , Giphy Olivia said...

I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr Onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

 
On October 20, 2019 at 12:45 PM , Anayo said...

ARE YOU AWARE THAT MODERN NATURAL HERBAL MEDICINES OF THIS GENERATION NOW PERMANENTLY CURE DRUG RESISTANT DISEASES LIKE; HSV/HERPES, CANCERS, HIV/AIDS, ERECTILE DISJUNCTION/ IMPOTENCY, DIABETES FOREVER WITHOUT A POSSIBLE COME BACK OR AFTER EFFECTS?
It wonderfully worked for me;
At first I was a bit skeptical about this Natural cure for herpes and other similar medicines. Discovering people with similar symptoms who are treated and cured by Dr Utu both on medias and in social medias on daily basis motivated me, so I contacted him for help!
At first, I was a bit curious about this possible cure, but! I don't want to be left out without giving it a trial, so I contacted him as well.
Some hours later he replied me, then he asked me some private questions, of which I honestly answered, I told him how I have lived and suffered with this disease and how much I will do anything to get rid of it. He assured me of total cure after taking his herbal medicines. It was even more easier than I expected. Also I never even imagined to get my parcels within five working days, but to my greatest surprise my parcels was brought to my doorstep by the end of the second day. I collected the parcel which I followed all the instructions as he had directed. Just as I was told "four weeks medication " my medicine finished in four weeks exactly. From week one of my medication I started noticing positive change in health. and in week two I could tell much more differences and I was so eager to even testify of life again in me.
I patiently continue medication till the last bottle which was then week four. I was the first person the next day in the clinic for lab test. Not even a particle of herpes was found in my system when I collected my result. Knowing I'm now herpes negative at this point I proceeded to inform my doctor, he doubted me, that day he gave me a month appointment to be closely monitored. It's my health so I waited more six Months and again i went for 'lab test' in a different clinical lab.
This time the result was still the same as the previous one. Also since this year I have been living my normal life and am still herpes free no symptoms and even till now no cold sore or outbreak. As a result of this herbal cure in my life and my family at large, I can boast of doctors today who through me, now uses African Traditional Roots and Herbs to TREAT AND CURE patients that are, CANCERS, HERPES, PARALYSIS, and HIV successfully today. Many are still ignorant of this I know.
Contact Dr Utu directly today on; "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com" to free yourself from emotional stress and become healthy again

 
On July 4, 2020 at 1:11 AM , bobbie martin said...

HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES DISEASE
I'm here to testify about what DR. ANUGE did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain,especially inside my body. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. Anuge on how he cured her from herpes disease. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help.so I emailed him telling him about my (HERPES) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as DR. ANUGE assured me that i will be cured,after some time. i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, the test came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact DR. Anuge for help. Email} dranuge@gmail.com WhatsApp /call +2348164866838

 
On May 31, 2021 at 11:51 AM , Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!